On 6-7 of February in the Saint-Petersburg state university the fourth White Sea student scientific session. Every year our colleague Anastasiia Zelenskaia is one of the organizers of this event. Young scientists from Saint-Petersburg, Moscow, Archangelsk, Murmansk and Petrozavodsk converged on this conference to share the results of their work with their colleagues.
This year the conference went on for 2 days and was dedicated to the various directions of Arctic research. Most presentations were on biological subjects, but there were also reports from oceanologists and geologists. Experienced scientists from various organizations were invited as well participate in the conference with oral presentations. For example, there were incredibly interesting speeches about arctic mushrooms and polar dinosaurs.
The meetings were held in the auditorium №133 of the University’s main building, which is familiar to all biologists of our city (photos by conference’s organizers).
Our research was presented quite broadly, mostly in the form of poster presentations, and Ekaterina Kondakova spoke about stickleback from the high tribune.
Marvelous cups were included in the conference participants’ bag. A fortunate find on the conference organisers’ part. Amazing baked goods from Volchek’s bakery made those days even more tasty!
Photos were provided by conference’s organizers A.A. Mirolubov and D.J. Krupenko.
Here is the full list of our presentations, some of which were in English:
1. Dorgham A. S., Ivanova T. S., Ivanov M. V., Yurtseva A., Lajus D. L. Sexual dimorphism of threespine stickleback of the Keret archipelago (White Sea) in external morphological characters.
2. Golovin P. V., Ivanov M. V., Ivanova T. S., Rybkina E. V., Lajus D. L. Distribution of the threespine stickleback parasite Cryptocotyle spp. (Digenea) in the coastal waters of the White Sea.
3. Rogozhkina S. P., Ivanova T. S., Smirnova K. A., Ivanov M. V., Lajus D. L. Age structure of the threespine stickleback Gasterosteus aculeatus on spawning grounds of the Kandalaksha Bay of the White Sea.
4. Kondakova E.A., Ivanov M.V., Ivanova T.S., Smirnova K.A., Lajus D.L. Some features of the normal embryonic development of the threespine stickleback Gasterosteus aculeatus.
5. Nadtochii E.V., Smirnova K.A., Zelenskaia A.E., Ivanov M.V., Ivanova T.S., Lajus D.L. Communities of coastal fish in the Kandalaksha Bay of the White Sea in different biotopes.
6. Saveliev P.D., Panitsina V.A., Genelt-Yanovskiy E.A., Ivanov M.V. Population dynamics of the threespine stickleback Gasterosteus aculeatus in spawning grounds.
7. Smirnova K.A., Nadtochii E.V., Zelenskaia A.E., Demchuk A.S., Ivanova T.S., Ivanov M.V., Lajus D.L. Feeding White Sea herring (Clupea pallasi marisalbi) in summer.
With all those and other thesises presented on the conference you can get acquainted here.
A.E. Zelenskaia and D.L. Lajus